Last Updated on: by
We are only the second week of January and I can already give a major update on my portfolio and milestones progress. This is in part due to the decline we saw at the end of 2018 and the opportunity it offered me to enter at a lower price for quite a few stocks.
One of the biggest changes is the execution of the planned changes I wrote in my 2019 look ahead:
- The closing of my savings account at Moneyou and moving all its funds to Medirect’s Fidelity plus account.
- Purchasing dividend stocks
New savings account
The main reason for changing savings accounts was the much higher interest rate I would get at Medirect.
There is a huge disparity between these two savings accounts:
- Moneyou Plus Saving[NL] – 0.36%: 0.01% base rate & 0.35% fidelity premium.
- Medirect Fidelity Saving – 0.85%: 0.05% base rate & 0.80% fidelity premium.
That’s a difference of 136.11%! The 0.85% Medirect offers is not nearly enough to compensate for the (Belgian) inflation of 2.05% (2018), but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try to minimize the loss at least.
New portfolio purchases: seizing the opportunity
Thanks to the December bearish sentiment and my move to a new savings account, I seized the opportunity to purchase new stocks and add some shares to stocks I already own by depositing 5,500 EUR:
- 15 KINEPOLIS (KIN)
- 12 ISHARES S&P SMALL CAP 600 (IUS3)
- 3 INVESCO US HEALTH CARE S&P (XLVS)
- 7 ISHARES CORE S&P 500 (SXR8)
- 20 AEDIFICA (AED)
Because of this new deposit the total deposit amount of my portfolio has reached 18,000 EUR. This also means that I have already reached 44% of my target deposit amount.
While I now made a large deposit, as a result of a snowboard trip in March, and before that, new snowboard + bindings, I won’t transfer 1K to my trading account in the next three months.
I don’t foresee any other big expenses after this so I should be able to stay on track to reach my milestone of 12,500 EUR by the end of the year. Of course, you never know but for now, I’m off to a great start!
I’ll refrain from updating my portfolio page till we reach the end of Q1, but you can already look forward to a big difference compared to my 2018Q4 report.
- My monthly Savings Rate report: June 2020 - July 9, 2020
- Paying too much taxes? My Belgian pay slip explained - July 7, 2020
- Side hustling in Belgium: 6 jobs providing additional income - June 27, 2020